Hey Busy Bees!
This week I'm taking a small break between the Boss Babes series to continue to serve you and your productivity needs! I've been really thinking about the tools I use every day to get productive, and I am excited to my favorite with you today.
This tool has helped me in almost every aspect of my life; from grad school, to wedding planning, to buying a house or collaborating with my peers!
It's GOOGLE DRIVE!
I would be a HOT mess without google drive. I started using it mostly during teaching, to keep folders of all my resources across all subjects. It's so easy to use and sharing with colleagues is a breeze.
Last year, I began using it to organize items for my wedding and now I use it for almost every aspect of my life.
What do I use it for, exactly?
- My husband and I share documents back and forth and have a spreadsheet shared between us to keep track of our bills and budgets.
- When I was wedding planning, google drive allowed me to organize every aspect of my wedding. I had all of my vendor information, a spreadsheet of expenses I could easily share with my parents and Ross, as well as a spreadsheet of all our guest's name, address and phone number.
- For my productivity coaching business, I have folders with different resources, my coaching documents, workbooks I've designed, social media posts I've created on Canva, and other important things in google drive.
- I love that I can access it from ANYWHERE. I just log into my email, go to google drive, and it's right at my fingertips- even on my phone! Everything saves automatically as well, so as soon as you update a document, it's ready to go!
- Since I am a Reading education grad student, I have saved all my resources, lesson plans, assessments and activities into folders according to the type of reader; emergent, beginning, transitional, etc. It's been super helpful over the Summer when I began tutoring 2 emergent readers. I didn't have to look everywhere to find documents- everything was uploaded right into the emergent folder.
- When I was in Reading clinic this summer (again, for grad school) I invited all the other girls in the program to collaborate in a folder I created in google drive. We were all working with different leveled readers and finding so many amazing resources and activities! I figured, why not have a space for us to share these ideas? They all loved it and now we can all access it in the future, instead of searching for new activities! TIME SAVER!
- When my husband and I were buying a house, we created a house forms folder to keep everything in ONE place! It was so helpful when the bank needed information or we needed to find an important document.
Helpful hint- I like to color code my folders so that they are easy to find.
Here's a little snapshot of how I use google drive:
Here's how I used it in my graduate class this Summer:
You can see that I have a folder labeled "Clinic" for my Reading program.
When you go into the folder, I had some general documents but then I also had 2 folders inside.
One was labeled "justifications" and the other was labeled "lesson plans" so that everything was organized, instead of thrown in the clinic folder.
Lastly, here's a peek at how I use it for The Busy Bee...
You can see that I have my featured guests on the blog organized into folders. I have a social media posts folder, surveys, my coaching workbooks, sessions, contracts and freebies.
To access google drive:
- make sure you have a google mail account
- log in to your email
- click the dots in the upper right hand corner- those are your "apps"
- find google drive- it's a triangle with green, yellow and blue lines.
- you can see there are documents, sheets and slides for you to use! I use sheets for spreadsheets and google slides is just like powerpoint!
So there is a brief overview of how I use Google Drive in my life, business and school!
I hope you found this helpful! I'd love to hear from you if you have any takeaways or other questions about using this productivity tool!
I would also love to hear what YOUR favorite productivity tools are. Comment below and I'd love to explore them and have you part of my next blog post, with more productivity tools we use to stay on track in our busy lives or businesses!
Feel free to share with others that could benefit from this post!
Have a great weekend!